Sunday 22 September 2013

In the beginning...

Ann and Peter Rigg, Susi and Tim Blackmore, September 1998. Photo by Jan Baily
Many years ago when I was young, i.e. when I first bought my first bookshop, there were at least 5 independent bookshops in Nelson. The most important one, as far as I was concerned, was Pages Bookshop (which Ann & I owned), and the ABC Bookshop. The ABC bookshop was owned at the the time by Jill Blechynden. One day Jill came into our shop and informed us that she had sold her shop to a lovely couple from the UK called Tim & Susi Blackmore. As we had enjoyed a spirit of collegiality with Jill we hoped that that would continue with Tim & Susi and of course it did.

When Tim made his first visit into our little shop and had a good look round he made the remark that if we ever combined our shops we would have an awesome business. An innocent remark at the time, but it planted the seed of an idea that would eventually grow and sprout.

Because of the economic climate and the antics of my landlord in particular, both Pages Bookshop & Blackmores started to suffer a downturn in our respective bookshops. It was decided that if we could find the right premises we would combine and become one awesome bookshop. One day one of my regular customers (who you will meet some time later in this blog) came in and told me that Bill Liddell of Toyworld was shifting. I told this customer to stay in the shop and serve anyone who came in while I rushed across to ask Bill if he had anyone to take over his lease. He didn't and after telling Tim & Susi, the reality of Page & Blackmore was born.

- Peter Rigg, co-owner

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And for years and years and years, I thought you were Peter Page...

    ReplyDelete